Sunday, September 30, 2007

Praying for Hope

The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. -Psalm 34:18

“No babies in Mommy belly….she here!” That is what I heard out of Sophie’s mouth every day for months after Edie came to be with us. She’d say it 6 or 7 times a day, acknowledging where little Edie came from, and that we were finally celebrating the arrival of a new baby sister. There were several things that we looked forward to when the new baby came to live with us. Sophie looked forward most to her carseat being moved to the ‘way back’ of the minivan and sitting like Katie in the back seat. She was ecstatic.

Three days ago, she said it again. It had been a good couple of months since she said it, but this time, my eyes burned with tears and I found that familiar grapefruit residing in my throat. You see, three days ago was the three month anniversary of Miller Grace’s first day in Heaven. When Sophie said it again, I thought of little Hope, Miller Grace’s biggest sister and biggest fan.

You see, Sophie is still celebrating Edie’s arrival, though it was almost eight months ago (my, how time flies). She is still thrilled about having her here and completely overjoyed to watch her grow. This warms and breaks my heart simultaneously because I know that little Hope is grieving the loss of her little sister. Knowing that the day Sophie decides to celebrate Edie with her sweet comment of gratitude was the anniversary of Miller’s homegoing, I was completely broken for the Cassettys and I wanted to cry and smile at the same time.

Tonight, I am writing so that you may take a moment to call upon the name of Jesus on Hope’s behalf. She is a precious four year old that has had to endure the greatest disappointment. We cannot fathom the confusion and grief she must be feeling.

Please ask our God to be gracious, to be present, to be alive, to be real, and to be comforting to Hope. I am praying that God would just give her peace and stillness and that he would restore her joy.

Please continue to seek Him for Emily and Matt and Matilyn as well. We love them all so much…

No comments: